Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dialogue



It was a long day of writing essays, figuring out math equations, and reading

assignments. Sitting at the same table in the cafeteria for 4 hours can be a real pain in the

buttocks. Around 9 pm, I finally get around to the last bit of my anatomy homework.

Exhausted, I try to stay awake as I try to memorize the process of the sodium-potassium

pump and figure out what happens with muscle contractions. The only thing keeping me

awake is this twix candy bar, Family Guy on the TV, and the bickering of the distressed

couple two tables from me.

"We both know that this isn't going to work anymore." She said.

"But baby, we can work this out. You just need to listen to what I am trying to tell you."

"We have been over this multiple times, Jeff. Our beliefs are just too different."

"I told you that I would be willing to go to your church more often." He said as he tried to hold her hand.

The girl then closed her eyes and rubbed the back of her neck to try and relieve the

stress. "But whenever you go to my church, I can tell that you want to get the heck out of

there! If you can't accept the people in my church, then why would this ever work?"

"Well, if those people were more excepting and welcoming of me then maybe I

would actually enjoy going there." He said with a sarcastic voice.

"THOSE people?! Those people are practically my family!" She yelled.

"THOSE people look at me like I'm some kind of alien!"

"What do you suppose I do then, Jeff? I love my church and I am not willing to leave them for some guy."

"Some guy? That's really how you view our relationship because I thought it was

more than that!" He said almost as if he was about to break out in tears.

After a long pause the girl says in a monotone voice "Well... maybe I do view our

relationship that way... Maybe I do want this to be over."

For about five minutes they both stared at eachother without saying a word. The

guy then gets out of his chair, looks her in the eyes, says, "Okay... it's over then." and

walks out of the building defeated.

The minute he leaves, she bursts into tears and whispers, "I've made a mistake"

atleast twenty different times. The agony she showed on her face was worse than leaving

a puppy in a snowstorm. Time seemed to slow down as I watched her sit there and cry

alone.

Miracuously, I hear the door swing open with the guy running towards the girl.

She sees him approaching and they both embrace for what feels like eternity.

"This WILL work out." They both said as they continued holding one another.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful :) everybody loves a good love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsea, I thought you did a great job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This showcases how conversations escalate because of word choice. This is evident in the girl's decision to use "some guy," and when the male picks up on the connotation, the argument escalates. Thanks! Oh, and nothing is sadder than a puppy left in a snow storm ;)

    ReplyDelete